• Wood Background Test

    The History of S.Y Wilson

    Continuing the Tradition…

History Storefront

History Storefront

For more than a century, S. Y. Wilson and Company has stood at the center of Arlington’s commercial and social life. Founded in 1893, it is the second-oldest continuously operating business in the county. Susan Wilson Hoggard, a fourth generation descendent of founder Samuel Young Wilson, and her husband, Mark, operated the S. Y. Wilson & Company Antique and Artisan Market up until the Winstead family purchased the company in May of 2015. The historic store offered antique booths and craft displays on the main level and museum-quality exhibits on the mezzanine. In 1912, when Samuel Wilson raised the current building, it was a general store that stocked the necessities that took customers from cradle to grave.

History Storefront

The store mezzanine displayed one of the store’s original baby carriages, which would make it over 80 years old. You would find aged wooden caskets in the attic. S. Y. Wilson’s has its original floors, walls and ceilings. In the 1960s, the store stopped selling clothing and food, and became a true hardware store. Susan Wilson Hoggard, who bought S.Y. Wilson in 1994, originally operated the store as a garden center before settling on the current format, S. Y. Wilson and Company. Today, S.Y. Wilson and Company will continue the tradition with a retail and online store for the active lifestyle. Stop by S. Y. Wilson and Company and see what it has to offer with some of the top name brands.